"When I was learning how to cook, I was very inspired (ahem...obsessed) by Maangchi. I started cooking more Korean food than Indian food as a college kid and used to make all sorts of cheap-ish Korean food because I couldn’t afford all the ingredients. My first kimchi was questionable but then I remembered how my best friend had told me she had made her own version of kimchi and had accidentally added sambhar powder to it.
With time my Korean+kimchi game has improved a lot by reading and researching. So this is a small homage to Maangchi and all the Korean lunches I’ve prepared for my friends and mostly myself at home."
Recipe developer, SNAP!N
Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Cooking time: none
- 1 Nappa Cabbage
- 30g salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4-5 carrot, sliced like matchsticks
- 3 long radishes, sliced like matchsticks
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 20-25 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5-7 tbsp of SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika
- Mix salt, water and stir until the sea salt has dissolved in a large bowl. Remove the leaves of the Nappa cabbage one by one and place them into the water bowl. Let it sit for 1 hour. Now turn the Nappa cabbage over and let it sit for another 1 hour.
- Take a medium sized pot, add water and rice flour. Keep stirring till it boils. Now add the brown sugar and mix. Turn the flame off after a minute. And let it cool. Add it to a large bowl.
- Chop onions, garlic, ginger and blend them in a mixer till it becomes a paste. Add it to the large bowl with the rice flour mixture.
- Now add in SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika. Combine the mixture well.
- Add the carrots, radish and green onions. Mix well.
- Rinse the salted cabbage to get the salt water off and add the cabbage leaves one by one to the chilli bowl, coating it well.
- Place the seasoned kimchi into a large mason charge and leave it out at room temperature overnight and then keep it in the fridge.
- This can last for 3-4 months.
2. Kimchi Jjigae
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serving: Makes one loaf
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 cup kimchi cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup chicken/ vegetable stock/ water
- 1 tbsp SNAP!N Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp SNAP!N White Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4-6 garlic cloves minced
- 100g pork
- ½ packet tofu, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- First, boil the pork in your chicken stock for 10 minutes. Remove the pork and set aside.
- Take a large shallow pan, add some sesame oil and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add kimchi and pork and fry for another five minutes. Add the sugar, soy sauce along with some SNAP!N White Onion Powder, SNAP!N Garlic Powder, SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika.
- Add in the stock and kimchi brine and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with some tofu and green onion. Serve with rice!
3. Cucumber Salad (Oi Muchim)
Prep Time: none
Cooking time: 5 mins
Serving: For 2
- 2-3 english cucumbers
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (or any vinegar)
- 1 tsbp sugar
- ½ tsp SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika
- ¼ tsp sesame seeds
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- In a deep bowl add sliced cucumbers, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika.
- Mix them well together.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
4. Korean Fried Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes with 1 hour resting period
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Serving: For 2
- 250g chicken wings, drumsticks, boneless thigh pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp SNAP!N Ginger Powder
- Fresh pepper
- 90g cornflour
- 2 tbsp SNAP!N Kashmiri Chilli Paprika or Gojuchang, if available
- 2 tbsp SNAP!N Crunchy Garlic
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp grated garlic
- Dry the chicken pieces and marinate them for an hour with salt, SNAP!N Ginger Powder and fresh pepper and leave it in the fridge.
- Again pat dry the chicken after it comes out of the fridge and cover the chicken with a thin coating of cornflour.
- Take a frying pan and heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add in the chicken pieces, cook for 3-4 minutes. Take them out and cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce. Take a sauce pan and add in all the ingredients, cook for 2-3 minutes. Let it cool.
- Reheat your frying pan with the same oil and fry the chicken till golden brown. This should take another 5 minutes or so.
- Take out the chicken and coat it with sauce. Serve with sesame seeds, chopped spring onions and extra SNAP!N Crunchy Garlic.